Your body is an amazing machine that does far more than you realize. As this webpage sent by our fan Josh W. shows, your lungs, heart, muscles, teeth, and other parts all do a ton of work:
– Your heart beats about 100,000 times a day, and you don’t even think about it.
– You also don’t think about the 17,000 breaths you take.
– About 50,000 thoughts pass through your brain in a day, maybe even 60,000.
– Your body makes enough heat to run 25 light bulbs all day.
– Each blood cell makes 1,440 trips around your body in a day. That’s why those cells live only about 40 days, after making 60,000 trips.
And there’s more. If you feel tired just from reading this, think how your heart, brain and liver feel!
Wee ones: Your eyes blink almost 30,000 times a day! Try to blink just your left eye, then just your right eye.
Little kids: Take 10 deep in and out breaths, counting them from 10 down to 1. Bonus: If you had taken 14 breaths instead, how many more breaths would that be?
Big kids: If cells last 40 days, with May 11 counting as their whole first day, which day is their last? (Reminder: May has 31 days.) Bonus: If you thought 2,000 thoughts each hour, would that rack up to 50,000 thoughts in a 24-hour day?
Wee ones: Try winking with just one eye – and see if you know your left from right!
Little kids: 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5 ,4 ,3, 2, 1. Bonus: 4 more breaths.
Big kids: June 19. May 31 is their 21st day of life, so they live another 19 days in June. Bonus: Not quite — it would come to 48,000. So we think more than that!